Re: False positives (was Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records)

2003-03-13 18:28:45
On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 14:23:51 -0500
Kee Hinckley <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com> wrote:

At 10:53 AM -0500 3/8/03, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
classic challenge response systems have a serious problem if the
center of the message is a robot.  For example, you purchase
something on the net, you get

They also have another problem I haven't seen addressed.  People are
talking about Turing-test type challenges to prove you are human.  So
far all the ones I've seen proposed require that you can see.  They
will not pass federal requirements in the U.S. as they currently
stand.  And if they get widely deployed outside of the federal arena
you are certain to see accessibility lawsuits.  Solveable perhaps by
including both visual and audio prompts, but someone should start
thinking about it now.

I'm a lagging behind on the traffic of this list, but I thought I'd
comment on this.  A while ago I implemented a system like this for a
website where we had a problem with software robots.  It was your usual
"fuzzy image with text" system (we had to play with it a little bit to
make it OCR-resistent without making it unreadable).  We did get a few
complaints from blind users who were being shut out of the site, so I
did the sensible thing: I added a link saying "click here to listen to
the challenge" an generated a "fuzzy" sound file with the same
information that is in the image.  It was not particularly hard to do, I
just had to research a little bit on sound file formats.

So, it is not an intractable problem.  It just has to be done right.

-Wilson
--
Wilson Roberto Afonso
wilson(_at_)netwhatever(_dot_)com