RE: [Asrg] Too much of too little (Was: Taking a step back)

2003-03-13 15:19:40
A very well written and accurate piece.

I like the idea of consolidating theories and proposals and the pros and
cons.

Though as a developer, I don't share in your view that we shouldn't jump in
and just start coding. I think talk is cheap and action is actually worth
something. (Though, I don't think it needs to be said that the coding effort
should be haphazard and wasted)

What I would like to see is an implementation test bed, where we all develop
and try to be spammers and  break each other's implementations. A place
where we can turn theory into fact.

You are right that one agreement won't solve it. But we have yet to agree on
any one thing. I can't get everyone to agree that sender verification should
be required. I see it as a no-brainer, fundamental starting point. I (and I
think everyone else does too) want to be left alone from senders that don't
exist.

Ultimately, I think the network should guarantee that what we get is a
'valid' (yes, yet to be formally defined) communication. Once delivered, the
user will ultimately be responsible for determining it's spammness (client
filters).