RE: [Asrg] Random thought

2003-03-12 11:25:55
So close, yet so far. See interjected comments

-----Original Message-----
From: Sauer, Damon [mailto:Damon(_dot_)Sauer(_at_)BellSouth(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 1:03 PM
To: 'Jason Hihn'; ASRG
Subject: RE: [Asrg] Random thought

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Hihn [mailto:jhihn(_at_)paytimepayroll(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 11:42 AM
To: ASRG
Subject: [Asrg] Random thought

Comments?

 I think this could also be accomplished using an X-headers if you are not
trying to authenticate the address at the gateway.
This would be an administrative nightmare for x500 and Microsoft
Exchange as
this is not programmatic and each [bucket] would have to be added
manually.
One the other hand, I do not see an issue with writing a script that would
allow the user to assign themselves [buckets] but their email
would not work
until the buckets were defined
 I think that this is an interesting approach and could likely be
implemented right away.

Indeed. The change is small, particularly of you rely on client-side
filtering alone.
Server-side you need only to trim [whatever] off the email for finding out
who to deliver to. A better implementation would be to have the server place
it in a folder on the server until retrieval.

 I would start by writing an instruction on how each user can add rules to
their Microsoft Outlook client that would say, if TO: is user[bucket] then
place in X folder.

Exactly! But I'd still prefer the server to do it because as I've stated
before, Joe Blow knows nothing of filters.

I would set up an internal web page to define the buckets and
programmatically add these as secondary addresses to the users
address list
via ldap mods.

Easily done, and relatively user-friendly

I would set aside several thousands of dollars to replace
business cards and
stationary.
I would have to define rules to remove old [bucket] addresses as they are
abandoned because spammers finally figured out what the address was.

Now you're just getting crazy.

 Hey, wouldn't it just be easier to assign multiple SMTP addresses?

We do, but the ad-hoc nature is key. "Assigning multiple SMPT addresses"
pins you down to a rather fixed list, and that's easy for a spammer to lock
on to, and that's not what I want. I go to great lengths to protect my email
addresses, but I always wind up getting on lists, then getting off is
impossible.

 You see where I am going with this?

No.