RE: [Asrg] Random thought

2003-03-12 11:07:42
-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Hihn [mailto:jhihn(_at_)paytimepayroll(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 11:42 AM
To: ASRG
Subject: [Asrg] Random thought

What if we assigned a bucket in the email address?

joe[spam](_at_)paytimepayroll(_dot_)com

Consent expression is then indicated by the bucket [spam]
So if I wanted to give a contest (to win a BMW) my email (because they
require it) my email, I'd on the fly assign BMW's email to their own bucket,
I can specify joe[bmw] when registering to win a BMW on a website.

Then, my mail client can give it it's own folder, or swash it into a default
inbox according to my rules. It can create folders as it sees email (or if
spammers abuse it, we can manually set up a folder, and trash anything not
going to that folder)

The big problem is that [bucket] can be stripped off. So solve this problem
joe@ is to be considered invalid. Some bucket must be specified.
joe[default] would be one such example(though poorly choosen) Or joe could
set his [BMW] bucket to be his default inbox in his mail client.

This will also allow us to track who sells our info. If I start getting mail
sent to the BMW bucket and not from the sponsors, I know they sold my info.
After the contest, I can trash anything automatically sent to that bucket.

This makes evading spam rather easily, while still retaining your email
server and provider.

Comments?

 I think this could also be accomplished using an X-headers if you are not
trying to authenticate the address at the gateway.
This would be an administrative nightmare for x500 and Microsoft Exchange as
this is not programmatic and each [bucket] would have to be added manually.
One the other hand, I do not see an issue with writing a script that would
allow the user to assign themselves [buckets] but their email would not work
until the buckets were defined

 I think that this is an interesting approach and could likely be
implemented right away.

 I would start by writing an instruction on how each user can add rules to
their Microsoft Outlook client that would say, if TO: is user[bucket] then
place in X folder.
I would set up an internal webpage to define the buckets and
programmatically add these as secondary addresses to the users address list
via ldap mods.
I would set aside several thousands of dollars to replace business cards and
stationary.
I would have to define rules to remove old [bucket] addresses as they are
abandoned because spammers finally figured out what the address was.

 Hey, wouldn't it just be easier to assign multiple SMTP addresses?

 You see where I am going with this?

Regards,
Damon

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."