RE: [Asrg] Random thought

2003-03-12 11:25:54
Whoops. I forgot the obligatory:

Adoption:
10%: who cares? (Assuming) My server supports it (it has to for me to use
it), I can benefit right NOW using client-side filters. The sender needs to
know nothing, nor have anything special to send to me. I have immediate
benefit.
50%: ditto
90%: ditto

;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Jason
Hihn
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 11:42 AM
To: ASRG
Subject: [Asrg] Random thought

What if we assigned a bucket in the email address?

joe[spam](_at_)paytimepayroll(_dot_)com

Consent expression is then indicated by the bucket [spam]
So if I wanted to give a contest (to win a BMW) my email (because they
require it) my email, I'd on the fly assign BMW's email to their
own bucket,
I can specify joe[bmw] when registering to win a BMW on a website.

Then, my mail client can give it it's own folder, or swash it
into a default
inbox according to my rules. It can create folders as it sees email (or if
spammers abuse it, we can manually set up a folder, and trash anything not
going to that folder)

The big problem is that [bucket] can be stripped off. So solve
this problem
joe@ is to be considered invalid. Some bucket must be specified.
joe[default] would be one such example(though poorly choosen) Or joe could
set his [BMW] bucket to be his default inbox in his mail client.

This will also allow us to track who sells our info. If I start
getting mail
sent to the BMW bucket and not from the sponsors, I know they
sold my info.
After the contest, I can trash anything automatically sent to that bucket.

This makes evading spam rather easily, while still retaining your email
server and provider.

Comments?