Re: [Asrg] Random thought

2003-03-12 16:44:41
In <3E6FA134(_dot_)6050907(_at_)americasm01(_dot_)nt(_dot_)com> "Chris Lewis"
<clewis(_at_)nortelnetworks(_dot_)com> writes:

wayne wrote:

If you silently accept email with invalid recipients, you may well end
up in the same position as Alan DeKok.

Slight correction.  Striker never did that AFAIK.

Slight correction.  I never said that Striker did, just that you could
end up in the same position.

Multiple "RCPT TO" then "QUIT" is the same as VRFY.

I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance here, but then, I tend to stay away
from all DJB projects.  However, it was my understanding that qmail
didn't do much validation on the RCPT TO, the validation would come
much later.

Anyway, my points were that reporting errors was important because you
want false positives to be reported and it doesn't hurt the spammer
much by not reporting errors.  Also, validating early is better
because you waste less bandwidth, and you can force the sending MTA to
do the bounce.

-wayne