Re: [Asrg] Random thought

2003-03-12 10:21:13
Giving out personalized email addresses to all correspondents is useful
and great fun too. I do this with structured addresses @stewart.org.

The greatest entertainment happens when (a not-random example) I start
getting porn spam to "hertz(_dot_)com(_at_)stewart(_dot_)org".  A letter to the
CEO and
chairman produces all sorts of response. Sort of like poking an anthill
with a stick.

Unfortunately a lot of addresses get given out, it is not so easy to
manage them, and it is confusing for the people you really want to
talk to.

Oddly enough, too, I get much more traffic to addresses in stewart.org which
I have NOT given out.  Most are typos from some other intended domain.

This discussion leads me, in a roundabout way, to a topic about which I
am confused.  Should mail to invalid recipients be rejected or merely
discarded?  If mail senders are legitimate, then rejecting bad mail makes
sense. It helps folks who have made typos, of which I have made my share.
However for spammers, I have not heard, or perhaps not understood, the
argument.  My own inclination is to silently accept such things as my small
part in the task of making spamming uneconomic.

-Larry