Re: [Asrg] Random thought

2003-03-12 21:22:48

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 08:05  PM, Damien Morton wrote:

Yeah - fundamentally, any spam solution has to be able to pass this
test:

Can I publish my email address anywhere and not expect to inundated with
spam.

Which sounds awfully like a whitelist system to me. Implementable today, no protocol enhancements, minimal training, and decent systems can be pre--programmed to minimize the hassles to people you WANT sending to you....

the big issue on whitelists seems to be the social issue, the "jumping through hoops" issue. But I haven't yet seen a suggestion I thought didn't require at least that much hassle/work/retraining/etc and most require a lot more. So why not whitelistings as part of a solution as a lesser evil to all this other stuff?

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

No! No! Dead girl, OFF the table! -- Shrek