[Asrg] RE: Proxy your address (Was: Random thought)

2003-03-13 11:48:18
At 11:35 AM -0500 3/13/03, Jason Hihn wrote:
 > Try explaining your system my 70-year old uncle who still keeps all of
 his documents on his mac os desktop because folders are too complicated.
 He'll just give up. Its too complicated for 99% of users of email.

Too complicated to say that you get to approve of who gets to talk to you,
and you have to ask someone to approve to talk to them?

Well, there's the little matter of the software he has to install to manage all these fake addresses. But no, the complication I assume Damien was referring to was on the other side. You've made it too complicated to talk to someone.

I get mail from random strangers that goes: "I liked that article you wrote." Do you really think they are going to jump through all of these hoops in order to send me that?

What about the guy who says, "I just tried xxx you wrote, and there's the bug where it does such and such--here's a fix."

Challenge response systems are extremely annoying to people who are trying to talk to you. They are so annoying that there is no way a company would use them on contact email addresses. And as an individual I wouldn't get lots of messages I'd really like to get.

Ironically, there is one class of people who will wade through a challenge response system. The people who really want to sell me something.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.