RE: [Asrg] Random thought

2003-03-12 21:24:32
Behalf Of Kee Hinckley

At 11:41 AM -0500 3/12/03, Jason Hihn wrote:
What if we assigned a bucket in the email address?

joe[spam](_at_)paytimepayroll(_dot_)com

I've been doing this for about a year.  (Using
myaddr+domain(_at_)example(_dot_)com, which is supported by many MTAs).  It
turns out that it starts to be a pain to manage.  Companies change
names, domains change.  You start to have addresses registered at
sites where you aren't sure which token you used.  Never mind that
you get the sites that don't let you type in a + in the address (or
like drugstore.com, which just made it impossible for me to access my
email account because they added that restriction *after* I had
registered--not to worry they said, they'll fix it in 3-5 weeks.).

But it hasn't had any impact on my spam.  Why?  Because legitimate
sites don't sell your email address.  And I don't give my address to
non-legit sites.  Most of my spam comes from postings to mailing
lists and other things that put my address on the web.  Giving each
of those a different address would a) result in a lot of spam, b)
make it hard to send mail to a mailing list and c) would (if I
blocked them once I started getting spam) make it difficult for legit
folks to get in touch with me.

Yeah - fundamentally, any spam solution has to be able to pass this
test:

Can I publish my email address anywhere and not expect to inundated with
spam.