RE: [Asrg] Random thought

2003-03-12 21:57:23
From: Chuq Von Rospach [mailto:chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com]

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 08:05  PM, Damien Morton wrote:

Yeah - fundamentally, any spam solution has to be able to pass this
test:

Can I publish my email address anywhere and not expect to inundated
with
spam.

Which sounds awfully like a whitelist system to me. Implementable
today, no protocol enhancements, minimal training, and decent systems
can be pre--programmed to minimize the hassles to people you WANT
sending to you....

Im not sure that the test I proposed implies any particular system,
including whitelists. My own personal preference is a sender-pays
system, implemented at the ISP level, which would be equally effective.
Im sure others have proposals that would satisfy the test.

the big issue on whitelists seems to be the social issue, the
"jumping
through hoops" issue. But I haven't yet seen a suggestion I thought
didn't require at least that much hassle/work/retraining/etc and most
require a lot more. So why not whitelistings as part of a
solution as a
lesser evil to all this other stuff?

Its probably a little premature to be voting on various approaches.