Re: False positives (was Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records)

2003-03-06 22:44:12
David F. Skoll wrote:
On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Kee Hinckley wrote:

Companies may find it necessary to hire a human to filter
borderline messages that an automatic filter is unsure of, but in the
ISP context, false positives do not have a simple
solution--

Oh, clearly this is not an appropriate solution for an ISP.  I was intending
it only for a corporate setting.

Eeek!  I don't want to read 50,000 spams per day!

False positives have a very simple solution. Treat it as the first step in a "do something else to get this thru". Just like confirming a mailing list subscription with per-transaction keywords. Or, "click here" to get it through.

In our case, we simply arrange to have the bounces say "if you think this was in error, forward this bounce to <x(_at_)x>". Where <x(_at_)x> is a whitelisted address with people who'll forward/fix mistunings. It's relatively safe - spammers tend not to do that. And I'm a suspicious SOB ;-)

If your filters are good, the FP rate is low. Our false positive handling address averages less than 5 per day.