Re: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records

2003-03-04 19:29:05
"Gary Feldman" <gaf(_at_)rtr(_dot_)com> wrote:
... today the goal must be reformulated, perhaps as "receiving
personal email from strangers must be possible for those who wish to
receive such mail"

  I'm not sure I agree.

  If my ISP is under serious attack from spammers, then some level of
"good" mail will probably be thrown out with the spam.  The only way I
know of to guarantee that no "good" mail is thrown out, is to not
throw out *any* mail.

  This is unacceptable.

  We have to decide what level of spam we can live with, and what
level of false positives we can live with in anti-spam filters.  If
lowering the false positive rate by 2% increases the amount of spam by
10x, then that solution doesn't scale.

I do not believe that it was ever a requirement to have
the ability to send an email with a return address one had
no right to use, and even if it were, it is not a requirement
now.

  I agree.

  Alan DeKok.