[Asrg] Do we need to do anything?

2003-03-06 08:24:01
Reading some of the discussion here over the past few days, I'm wondering
whether we actually need to do anything.

Many of the suggestions and proposals are acknowledged as taking years
before they're widely deployed.  Talk of new protocols, e-mail 'postage'
charges and the like -- all these things need to displace an incredibly
well entrenched existing protocol.

At the same time, MUAs are getting smarter.  In particular, the presence
of language classifiers (Bayes, et al) in desktop-user (as opposed to
technical-user) MUAs is likely to become much more prevalent over the next
few years.

As soon as these become widely deployed, and the majority of recipients
have filters that are so customised that it's nigh-on-impossible for a
spammer to guarantee that their e-mail will get through, doesn't spamming
then become so uneconomical as to die out?

I realise that this could be seen as being slightly optimistic, ...

1        1         2         3         4         5         6         7    7
         0         0         0         0         0         0         0    5
                                                    -- The 75 column-ometer
Global Messaging,                 A: Top posting
120 Cheapside, x83331             Q: What's the most annoying e-mail habit?