[Asrg] RMX breaks mailing lists

2003-03-06 08:35:10

I looked back over the archives at the whole RMX discussion,
and looked at the Designated Senders draft as well, and it
appears that nobody has mentioned the problem that it
EITHER:
        - breaks legitimate forwarding such as mailing lists
OR
        - can be trivially worked around by forging Received headers

(After all, I didn't receive Hadmut Danisch's note from his server,
I received it from my internal relay, which received it from
an ietf.org server.)

So at most it is a possibly-useful Received header heuristic.

A more useful heuristic, for now, would be IP-based DNS records
indicating whether my host is authorized to initiate any SMTP at
all, as a way of cutting down on open relay/proxy/forgery.