Re: [Asrg] RMX breaks mailing lists

2003-03-06 11:53:36

From: "Derek J. Balling" <dredd(_at_)megacity(_dot_)org>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:05:19 -0500

So in the DS model, you would configure your internal relay to do the
DS test, which had a sender of <asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>, and ask IETF
"is
132.151.1.19 authorized to send mail for ietf.org?", get an assurance
of trust, and move on.

You could then set up your final-MX to say "trust all mail from my
internal relay, because it's already done those checks itself".

The received headers never come into play. It's strictly concerned
sender-domain (from the envelope) and connecting IP.

BUT there is no envelope sender re-writing for (in sendmail parlance):
        - aliases without list owners
        - .forward forwarding

Should there be?  It would be a different world.
While that doesn't rule out adoption of RMX, it does make even
its adoption have pretty big impact on everyday normal practices.

P.S. I have now twice succumbed to the temptation to add
to the high-volume small-topic flood.  Now it's out of my
system, and I see the wisdom in Paul Judge's trying to move
the discussion toward longer and systematic drafts rather
than point-by-point reaction.  So I'll be quiet for a while.