[Asrg] RE: Asrg digest, Vol 1 #32 - 9 msgs

2003-03-06 09:08:49
At 3:04 PM +0000 3/6/03, Tom Thomson wrote:
Doing that we can end up with a clear view of which ISPs will deal with spam
complaints effectively and which won't.  Probably the next stage is
blacklists - if an ISP is unwilling to deal with spam it's prohably because
he sees it as to his commercial advantage to allow it, and blacklisting will
make him useless to all his customers (whether spammers or not) so he'll
pretty quickly change his ways.

What you are describing is exactly the situation now. The message headers indicate the originator of the email by IP address. When you report the email, the ISP terminates the account if they are responsible and doesn't if they are not. The ISP doesn't need to log message-ids, the received headers contain all the necessary information for them to map back to the sender.

At one point WorldCom reportedly had over 100 people doing nothing but dealing with spam complaints. And on the other side of the fence, I haven't noticed the ISP 163.net in China going out of business just because they are a major source of spam.

PS. Could someone tell me why there are these Chinese ISPs that use numbers like 163 an 263 as their names? Is there some significance to the numbers?
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.