Re: [Asrg] Massive bounce rates on spammer lists

2003-03-06 11:05:05
David F. Skoll wrote:

You also penalize mail from "<>" to an invalid address, because that
is a fairly clear indication of spamming.

As a FYI, this isn't our experience. Mail from "<>" to an "invalid" address is perhaps even more often a postmaster bounce to a spam forged in our domain.

Of the 225048 connects to our spamtrap so far today, 1747 (~ 1%) of them are bounces of spam forged in our spamtrap's domain (detected by checking for both a null return address and "postmaster" or "daemon" (from mailer-daemon in the body From)). It varies a lot day-by day. For two days in a row this week it was in excess of 20%.

The idea has some merit, but it'll need more tuning than meets the eye first glance.