Re: [Asrg] Back to the charter

2003-03-06 14:35:36
On 6 Mar 2003, Mark Delany wrote:

In short, we need to give Inbox control back to the recipient. In that
light I guess that "consent" means something like "I consent to your
mail showing up in my Inbox and if I choose otherwise, you cannot
override my lack of consent". Or crudely, "My Inbox, my rules".

That to me is the high level goal. Return control to the user.

The simplest way to do that is with a whitelist.  Of course, that by
itself really reduces the usefulness of an email account.

The ideal system (IMO) will also provide a way to delegate the granting of
consent.  The user should not have to manually grant or reject requests
for consent, or we're right back to square one, with spam in the form of
requests for permission.

Whether it's delegating to software (s/delegation/automation/) or
delegating to trusted friends (a la the PGP web of trust), I think there's
got to be a way to remove from the recipient the burden of personally
reviewing requests for consent.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA