Re: [Asrg] Back to the charter

2003-03-07 11:06:37
At 10:53 AM -0500 3/6/03, Pierre Fortin wrote:
of control back very simply: enforce path verifiability.  Once the path is
verifiable, much spam will crawl back into its hole, IMO.

I think it might be valuable to classify spam a bit here, so that we can identify what kinds of solutions address what types of spam.

In particular, there are a growing number of spammers who are using perfectly identifiable paths. Some of those paths lead to public ISPs, such that blocking the spammer also results in blocking legitimate users. The Chinese spam I get from 163.net certainly doesn't hide the fact that it comes from 163.net. Nor do they care if I block it. Because the people who can't block it are the people who regularly communicate with people in China and can't afford to block a Chinese ISP. And those of course are also the people who can read the spam. I'm just collateral damage.

The bcc spammers who are using temporary webmail accounts are also completely path verifiable. They simply don't care that the account will be torn down in a number of hours. Much of the Spanish Prisoner (aka Nigerian) seems to fall into that category.

So, how about a start on a taxonomy for spam. Not based on content, but on the class of technique.

1. Open Relay
Uses an open relay to send spam. The relay is typically a loosely configured, misconfigured, or buggy mail server. The server may or may not normally send email. The sender typically attempts to obscure the true source of the email via fake headers or other information. But the original email account is probably throw-away. There's no particular reason the spammer couldn't use the domain of the relay in the sending email if an "authorized server only" system was set up.

2. Open Proxy
Like an open-relay, except that the email arrives via a different protocol, so there is usually no trace. HTTP/Socks proxies fit this category. As do formmail exploits. Rooted servers can also be used for this purpose.

3. BCC
Uses a throwaway email account sending multiple messages bcc'd to the sender. Very difficult to tell from normal email use.

4. Viral
Uses a virus or trojan to send email using the machine owner's account and/or identity. These appear to be on the rise. I've heard of viral ones, but never seen it documented. Trojan ones are definitely in use. In addition some of the trojan's (e.g. the latest e-card one) are reported to have been snarfing the address book back to the spammer--thus making hay of white-listing systems.

5. Spam Indifferent Host
Uses a paid account at a legitimate ISP for sending spam. Very common in Chinese spam. No attempt to forge anything.

6. Spam Friendly Host
Major spammer with the infrastructure and pipes for sending bulk email directly. They may or may not hide the domain. In one case we've dealt with the spammer regularly registers new domains every few weeks and uses those as the source of the email. The IPs keep changing. The domains keep changing.

Any others?

Looking at these. You want to think on different spam solutions and see where they have an impact and where they don't. For instance.

Blacklists help against open relays and open proxies. But there open relay blacklists have false positives and considerable collateral damage. Open proxy blacklists seem a bit safer, but still can have collateral damage. Both systems might survive an "IP is authorized to send mail for this domain" system, depending on the details and how tightly they were applied.

BCC spam is very difficult to tell from legit email. Only by content or "bulkness". It passes any authentication system just fine. Volume limits and manual signup systems help limit this, but not enough so far. And both rely on the goodness of the source site, which is not sufficient.

Viral spam has even worse characteristics than BCC spam, since it also can punch through whitelists, including auto-whitelisting challenge-response systems.

Spam indifferent hosts are a real pain. You can't necessarily blacklist them. You have very little power over them unless the entire community bands together, and if that happens things could spill over into diplomatic circles.

Spam friendly hosts are easier to block. But of course finding a reliable RBL that doesn't generate false positives is tough. And if it were that easy, you'd think they'd be gone by now, instead of growing in number.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.