Re: [Asrg] Do we need to do anything?

2003-03-07 11:18:48
At 12:47 -0500 3/7/03, Kee Hinckley wrote:
At 8:58 AM -0500 3/7/03, Jim Youll wrote:
The numbers for the Nigerians were estimated in the last few weeks at about one million dollars, total, for all instances of the scam worldwide, ever. If

Maybe that's the numbers for Nigeria proper, but certainly it seems to be earning *somebody* money:

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,55329,00.html
According to court records, from February to August 2002, Poet moved $2.1 million, in amounts ranging from $9,400 to $360,000 per wire transfer, from the accounts of Olsman Mueller & James -- a Berkley, Michigan, law firm where she was employed -- to various bank accounts in South Africa and Taiwan.

I didn't see that particular story, but ...

a) there's enforcement happening at the other end now, and against scams generally, so... the economic disincentive for large-scale high-profit scams (on and off the net) comes from law and criminal punishment, not the mechanisms in any case.

b) I intuit that the volume of messages sent does not really correlate to the response rate (as it would for the sale of miracle products and herbal remedies and so on). Greed-driven scams are a different business

c) this doesn't go to the main points about why disposable or scope-bounded addresses can be useful at times.