Re: [Asrg] Do we need to do anything?

2003-03-06 13:28:17

Jim Youll said:
At 18:33 +0000 3/6/03, Matt Sergeant wrote:
Tagged addresses, temporary addresses, etc. All work well for a bit.
Until your real email address gets out there.
And then you're history. ...

But if you had a proper client that hid all the work, you could
"give" a different e-mail address to every correspondent, and if it
leaked out, you need only cancel that one and give that particular
correspondent a freshly-generated address, no?

The issue I've had with tagged addresses (which I use BTW in some cases)
is a usability one -- if I subscribe to a list with
jm-list(_at_)jmason(_dot_)org,
I have to maintain a mapping between "posting to the foo list" means
"use jm-list(_at_)jmason(_dot_)org for the From address" (since most sensible
lists
impose From-addr filtering to avoid spam).

Giving a different e-mail addr to each correspondent breaks down in this
case, since I may be replying to Jim Youll, ccing Matt Sergeant, and the
ARSG list.  Which from addr do I use in this case?  If only the Asrg
list had so far had a tagged address mapping, that would be doable.  But
if all 3 had, it's more difficult; I'd have to tell my software that
Asrg takes priority, use its address, etc.

--j.