RE: [Asrg] Taxonomy (Four oracles model)

2003-03-10 07:55:55

While at first glance, this model sounds interesting, I don't believe that
it offers enough structure to allow us to compare anti-spam systems. For
example the second stage of your taxonomy asks "is this message spam?". I
believe that is a broad bucket and would include the 20 or so subclasses
presented in the spam prevention section of my taxonomy. Therefore, I don't
see the value of this broad bucket. Also, the first stage of your taxonomy
is covered in 1.a.ii.1 and 1.a.ii.3 of the original taxonomy.

Also, the last two stages of your taxonomy do not deal with spam
identification, but spam response once spam has been identified. Usually,
when I think about anti-spam systems, I think that there is an
identification component and a response component that deals with that
particular message and might perform some passive or even active response.

So, I would not move to this four stage model because the first two stages
are too broad and do not provide any real classification. However, I will
use this note as a reminder that we should also provide a classification of
spam response systems. I will follow-up with an outline of such. I would use
what you have sent, but it only lists examples and does not classify them.

Paul