[Asrg] taxonomy of solutions, including some new items

2003-03-10 11:42:34
Here is a taxonomy I did over the weekend.  I tried to bend it into
a list of additions to Paul Judge's, but I feel that the categories
overlap and that both the Paul Judge draft and the Hadmut Danisch draft
offer a premature binding to processes or dataflow.  For example, many
of the classifiers contribute something to both identifying unwanted or
identifying unwanted.

For ease of use, '+' marks new items that I have not observed on previous
lists, but which are already "out there" being implemented by somebody,
and '**' marks items that nobody has implemented yet (that I am aware).

Taxonomy of solutions

    - content filtering
        - heuristics (content, headers, paths, combinations of any feature
below)
        - learning

    - network-address-indexed blacklists
        - open relay blacklists
        - open proxy blacklists
        + dialup lists
    - content-indexed blacklists
        - bulk detectors (DCC)
        - collaborative filters (Razor, Pyzor)
        ** URLS and phone numbers

    - sender whitelists
        - basic recipient-administered
        - sender verified as human
            - challenge/response, Turing test
        - third-party trust/reputation
    - recipient whitelists
        - tagged/disposable addresses
    - sender accountability
        - digital signature
        - non-repudiation
        + auditing-based (Bonded Sender)

    - sender pays
        - proof-of-work/cycles (hashcash)
        - micropayments

    - protocol hints or restrictions
        ** associate permissible (env-sender,src-addr) (RMX, Designated Sender,
Vixie MAIL_FROM)
        - rate limiting (ingress or egress)
        + teergrube/tarpit

    + honeypot spam recipients for rapid acquisition/analysis of spam content
(MessageLabs commercial service)

    ** consent verification

    - legal