Re: [Asrg] Lets Fix Mailing Lists

2003-03-10 11:44:42
 Even lists like
this that accept contributions only from subscribers do not depend on
the subscription confirmations to defend against spam.

sigh.  the list may or may not 'depend' on this, but the combination of
subscription confirmations and accepting postings only from confirmed
subscribers does catch a lot of spam ... today.  it might not work so
well once spammers figure out that they can automate sending
subscription requests and confirmations - often they can even arrange
that they not actually get the mail from the lists at the same time.

Keith

p.s. seems like we are having a lot of difficulty understanding each
other due to a lack of precision in our language. words like "spam",
"forgery","legitimate" mean different things to different people.
the other source of misunderstanding that I've noticed has to do with
assumptions about context.  statements of the form "X won't work"
often seem to carry an implicit "... for purpose Y", which results
in responses of the form "X works just fine" (for purpose Z).