Re: [Asrg] Lets Fix Mailing Lists

2003-03-12 18:56:40
On Sunday, Mar 9, 2003, at 23:16 US/Eastern, Vernon Schryver wrote:
However, I refuse to jump through hoops.  If, as was the case tonight,
you send me a message, I respond, and your computer responds with a
demand that I jump through its hoop to prove I'm not a spam robot, I
will silently refuse.  If you don't want my mail, it would be wrong
for me to whine, beg or jump through hoops.

Same here. Also, the same goes for people who post questions on Usenet with broken reply-to addresses. If I notice, I don't even start to answer the question for them. (No, I am not going to edit an e-mail address by hand for the privilege of being allowed to e-mail you.)

Fine, but "forged" is wrong.  In English "forgery" means "an act of
forging; especially the crime of falsely and fraudulently making or
altering a document (as a check)" (See http://www.m-w.com/ )
It is wrong to say all 96.6% of those correspondents are guilty of
"falsely and fraudulently making or altering" SMTP headers.

Almost every piece of spam has at least one false Received: header, deliberately altering the correct path information to fraudulently suggest that the mail came from somewhere other than its actual origin. How is this even debatable? If you don't believe it, sign up for SpamCop, and see what proportion of spam you report produces a "false Received: header" message in the traceback report.

mathew
--
<URL:http://www.pobox.com/~meta/>