Re: [Asrg] Lets Fix Mailing Lists

2003-03-10 11:01:43
From: Marco Paganini <paganini(_at_)paganini(_dot_)net>

I'd say that mailing-list confirmations serve two distinct purposes: To warn
the user that his mailbox will be flooded with messages and to protect the
list from mass-mailers.

No, that last is not a purpose for mailing list confirmations, because
subscription confirmations do not and cannot do that.  Even lists like
this that accept contributions only from subscribers do not depend on
the subscription confirmations to defend against spam.  Subscription
confirmations do just that.  They confirm that a subscription for the
proposed address is wanted, including the pre-spam purpose of ensuring
that the candidate subscriber is using the right address.

Fine, but "forged" is wrong.  In English "forgery" means "an act of
forging; especially the crime of falsely and fraudulently making or
altering a document ....

OK! Give me another word then and I'll use it! :)

Call it whatever you want, but please stop naming with an intentionally
misleading word (albeit probably not by your intention).   "Verified"
or "checked" seems to me close to what you mean, but please feel free
to call it "kumquat" or anything else that is not misleading if that suits.

The use of "forged" for "mismatch between IP address and sender domain"
and similar things that have nothing to do with "falsely and fraudulently
making" is intentionally misleading.  People extend "forged" from the
cases where it is valid (perhaps as low as 3.6% in your data) to other
cases where it is a lie because detecting, discarding, or rejecting
"forged" mail is a good thing.

As I've said many times in this mailing list, contributions to this
list have been rationalizing design requirements by the misleading
use of "forged."  Even if the world of hobbyist spammer fighters (those
who love to count coup on spammers but don't care about reducing spam)
insists on saying that any mail they don't like is "spam" and that
it's all "forged," our standards must be higher.