Re: [Asrg] Several Observations and a solution that addresses them all

2003-03-10 10:58:45
1) Spam only comes from those we don't know.

false.  sometimes spam comes from people who do know me, but
want to annoy me.

2) We trust those that we know. The opposite is also true.

False.  knowing someone does not imply trusting him.  knowledge can
often justify distrust.  neither does not knowing someone indicate that
they're not trustworthy.

3) Content filters are unacceptable;

false.  content filters are ideal for getting rid of certain
kinds of content.  I can write a filter that reliably recognizes
languages that I cannot read, or attachments that I have zero use for
(like windows executables) and it's perfectly reasonable for me to
discard such things.

what's less reasonable is having someone else discard those things
for me.

4) Spam pays because it's cheap

not all spam is connercial.  and spam would exist even if it were
more expensive - it would just be more narrowly targeted.

5) Spammers don't care who they are, or who you are - BUT the
receivers do.

false.  some spam is targeted.

6) Spammers don't play fair, and bend the rules. Social engineering,
filter evasion, etc.

spammers don't think there are rules.

Keith