Re: [Asrg] Several Observations and a solution that addresses them all

2003-03-10 11:35:58
As I stated, you cannot rely on user filters.

filters are perfectly reliable for some things.  user filters
are not ideal because the infrastructure still has to carry the
messages, but it's misleading to say that they're not reliable.

There needs to be an infrastructure-level solution. Filters are fine
once the user gets the message, the infrastructure should strip out
illegitimate messages in the first place.

who decides what is illegitimate?

As your comments:
1) The definition may vary. But if you have friends that want to annoy
you, get new friends, and filter them out. That is, if you can
reliably filter them... (and I challenge you to do so if you can't
trust the 'from' address!)

filters don't have to be perfectly reliable to be useful.  (some people
have big enough egos that they won't change their from addresses, so
it's still useful to filter on their addresses.)

as for your challenge - just as an example, I'm willing to accept a
pgp-signed message from someone I trust as long as I can verify the
signature, and I don't care what the From address is.

You cannot assume that what works for you works for others.

I don't assume that.  I agree with you entirely that filters have to be
recipient-specific.  however that doesn't mean that they have to be
implemented at the recipient's end.

That said, I think there is only one filter that we could ever use,
and that is that the From: field must be legit. (minimally not blank)

there are probably a few others, but not many.

Keith