RE: [Asrg] Several Observations and a solution that addresses them all

2003-03-11 11:06:25
At 9:58 AM -0500 3/11/03, Jason Hihn wrote:
There is one goal: to eliminate spam. If you want social implications at 10,
50 and 90 percent then you are missing the point. Social implications are
irrelevant. Economic ones are the only ones that drive anything. I don't
care if Joe Blow wants a new spam proof email system - he doesn't control
his mail servers. His ISP does. And his ISP doesn't want to pay for spam.
Even if it costs him 15% more than non-spam email (assuming 80% of email is
spam) that's still significant cost reduction.

Call it social or economic, it's the same thing. So, let's look at the incentives to the ISP.

The ISP installs a system that keeps track of all outbound messages and who they went to (is that legal in the EU?) and sets up code to respond to verifications. It then also sets up code to verify all incoming mail against the sender's database.

When this is the only ISP to have implemented this service, how many spam messages do they block? Zero.

When 10% of the ISPs have implemented this system, how many spam messages do they block? Far less than 10%. Because of course, most spammers aren't sending from these ISPs in the first place--and they certainly aren't sending from these ISPs once they've implemented the system.

So. You are asking the ISP to gamble that this technology is the one that will be deployed world-wide. And you are further asking them to make this outlay with the full knowledge that the system will not be useful until the majority of the world is using it. Because until that time, it is not practical to block messages that don't verify.

It's not going to happen.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering