RE: [Asrg] Several Observations and a solution that addresses them all

2003-03-11 11:05:43
At 12:08 PM -0500 3/11/03, Jason Hihn wrote:
Dispatch is the heart of it all. It will pass on the request to sub mail
servers if it cannot be determined on this one. It also makes sure that the
connection comes from a recenelty sent-to domain to keep spammers from
asking for validations of email addrs out of the blue.

What you said was that it was "trivial".

What you have described requires that the primary and secondary MXs for a domain all run custom software which connects to the centralized server that sends all email for a domain, and that that server keep track of all outbound mail, who it came from and where it went. And it assumes by convention that nobody from that domain is allowed to send email via any other server.

There's also another little problem.

MAIL FROM:<jhihn(_at_)paytimepayroll(_dot_)com>
RCPT TO:<nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>

Now I go back to your server and say, "is jhihn(_at_)paytimepayroll(_dot_)com a valid address" and your server says, "what the hell are you talking about, I've gotten hundreds of queries about this person, but they did not send mail to nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com, they only sent email to asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org(_dot_) Must be a spammer. Not valid."

So if you want this to work you need to extend the SMTP protocol. There isn't enough information in the transport to uniquely identify a message.

But in any case, it's clear that the operative word is *not* "trivial".
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.