Re: [Asrg] Several Observations and a solution that addresses them all

2003-03-11 20:39:47
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui(_at_)plaidworks(_dot_)com> wrote:
But you _did_ send email to him.  Via _this_ mailing list.  How was
your mail server supposed to know that the IETF mailing server
forwarded it to him?

I'd argue that the relationship is between the subscriber and the
mailing list, and that's what ought to be validated. It's up to the
mailing list to validate what can be sent by it, but the user's
relationship is with the list, not with all of the users on the list.

  I agree.  The list has the choice of forwarding a message or not.
So any messages received are sent by the list, not by the subscribers.

  The list server can do whatever work it deems necessary to verify
the originator of a message.  After that, the subscribers only verify
that the message came from the list.

  This understanding simplifies a number of verification systems, and
removes any objections of the kind "but you've got to verify every
party which handled the message."

  Alan DeKok.