RE: [Asrg] Several Observations and a solution that addresses them all

2003-03-11 15:14:42
-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Chris
Lewis
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 4:00 PM
To: ASRG
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Several Observations and a solution that addresses
them all

Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 12:40  PM, Chris Lewis wrote:

Exactly. You have no rights to my info if I did not send to you.
Don't speak
until spoken to.

But you _did_ send email to him.  Via _this_ mailing list.  How was
your mail server supposed to know that the IETF mailing server
forwarded it to him?

I'd argue that the relationship is between the subscriber and the
mailing list, and that's what ought to be validated. It's up to the
mailing list to validate what can be sent by it, but the user's
relationship is with the list, not with all of the users on the list.

True, but you'd not only have to get mailing lists "fixed" first, you'd
have to change the mailing list standards and the MTAs so that the
receiving MTA could figure that out...

I think they are already 'fixed' unless they are already broken ;-) (="bad
implementation")

Given how easy this is to circumvent (plus the difficulties of handling
TEMPFAIL, and services that simply aren't reachable directly by TCP/IP
at the best of times), I don't think it's worth going down this hole.

This may be a bit cavalier, but if you're having connection problems then I
think your spam/email would be having problems too...