Re: [Asrg] Several Observations and a solution that addresses them all

2003-03-11 21:00:13
Jason Hihn wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On
Behalf Of Chris
Lewis

True, but you'd not only have to get mailing lists "fixed" first, you'd
have to change the mailing list standards and the MTAs so that the
receiving MTA could figure that out...

I think they are already 'fixed' unless they are already broken ;-) (="bad
implementation")

They're not already fixed. A substantial number of all mailing lists are broken. Ie: can't even detect mailing lists in general.

If they're not fixed now, it's going to be a very difficult problem fixing them all (the currently busted and the currently non-busted) to a _new_ standard.

Given how easy this is to circumvent (plus the difficulties of handling
TEMPFAIL, and services that simply aren't reachable directly by TCP/IP
at the best of times), I don't think it's worth going down this hole.

This may be a bit cavalier, but if you're having connection problems then I
think your spam/email would be having problems too...

Nope, works just fine thanks. You ever heard of UUCP? Consider all of the non-TCP/IP and non-direct-internet-connected-TCP/IP networks.

Authentication really needs to be inband to be practical.

I've seen a web registration tool that insists on doing a VRFY to your mail server to "validate" an email address.

Such things are hideously broken.

We turned off VRFY and EXPN for a reason. We're not going to turn it back on again.