RE: [Asrg] Lets Fix Mailing Lists

2003-03-10 17:33:27
From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>

I think it is legitimate in a very honest sense to consider email
forged if the manner in which it is sent is not approved by the
owner of the DNS zone.

However mail claiming to come from hotmail that does not come through
their servers can be honestly and legitimately considered forged, or
to coin a phrase 'Notmail'.

Please show evidence other than your personal assurance that Hotmail
does not knowingly and intentionally sanction the very common practice
of using Hotmail addresses as legitimate, non-commercial drop-boxes.
WIthout such evidence, it is at best disingenuous to say that mail
with Hotmail return addresses from non-Hotmail IP addresses is forged
or falsely and fraudulently marked.

I think this is a better idea than deciding that we are going to
rule all freemail to be illegitimate because we don't use it and
so think that the 50 million odd who do are less important than
the right to send email any way we chose.

Please stop your habit of intentionally misrepresenting my words.
I said nothing about ruling free mail to be illegitimate.  I did say
that if the public understood how much free mail is illegitimate, less
of the public would want to have anything to do with free providers.

Lots of our consultants use hotmail because they can't access the
corporate mail systems while on customer's premises (I know, Rim
pagers...)

This would be further improved if the email clients would tell the
user trying to enter a fake email address 'hey dude, you know that
some spam filters might consider your configuration invalid'.

Such a warning should also say "Hey dude, many spam filters reject
all mail apparently from free providers because so much of it is spam."

The number of outfits and individuals that reject all mail nominally
from Hotmail or Yahoo except for a few whitelist entries is large
and suprisingly large.