Re: [Asrg] Lets Fix Mailing Lists

2003-03-11 01:51:13
On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:01:29 +0100, Hadmut Danisch wrote:

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 08:09:58PM -0500, Erez Zadok wrote:
is forged, I don't believe (again from personal experience), that 50% of all
email is spam.

That completely depends on the use of email.

I find 5-15 spam mails in my mailbox every day, which is significantly
less than 10% of my email traffic (even without the  asrg list).

I use email (from here only for work).

I get approx ~10 messages a day (say 100 peak) from work and customers.
Email averages at say 2Kb/msg with peaks of say 20Meg zip attachments ;-)

Spam without our inhouse filtering it averages at around 300 messages
per desktop with messages getting bigger (as you say).
I get approx 40 spam messages per day on my desktop of which at least
half are duplicates - I get at least two and often three of each mainly
due to allowed variations in my email address. Jacqui J.caren Jacqui.caren etc.

Spam is an irritant and eats time however reading the asrg mlist takes
even more time than keeping up with newsgroups of interest...

FYI: When I post (very rarely these days) to a public NG new (unfiltered)
spam goes through the roof until the filters catch up.

Jacqui

p.s. I read this mlist mainly as a developer of opt in email broadcast systems
for people who want to send out personalised data (news, vacancies, product
pricelists to resellers, stock price data to paying customers, personalised
stock analysis reports etc. We actively avoid working for people who may even
consider 'spamming' the world.

Regarding earlier discussions of the cost of initial infrastructure I know
some companies in the (opt-in) EMBC field who would consider funding the
initial infratsructure of a technically and commercially viable solution.
Not everyone in the EMBC field are evil doers and ogres - some are not
only good guys but want to be seen to be so :-)

Jacqui Caren, Ingram Group Ltd. jacqui(_at_)ig(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk
ph: +44 (0) 1483 8628xx main=00 fax=01 ddi=65
http://www.ig.co.uk/ http://www.sitedirector.org/
http://www.perl.co.uk/