Re: [Asrg] Measurements on spam

2003-03-10 15:44:02
On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 01:38:29PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I was hoping we could use the figures to get away from discussions like
'that does not work 99% of spam comes through open relays'.

Evidence that 20% or more of spams already have countermeasures against a
technique is pretty useful.

Based on my spamtraps, and the figures we get back for rule effectiveness
across the SpamAssassin developers' corpora, I can tell you that each
technique varies massively.  On some people's mail, a given technique
could yield 50% effectiveness; on others, < 1%.

I reckon this is because there's a high degree of locality between
(a) a list of addresses and (b) the spammer (or spamming contractor)
in question.

This also indicates that some of the bigger spam outfits write (or
pay to have written) their own spamware.

--j.