RE: [Asrg] Measurements on spam

2003-03-10 16:00:40
Based on my spamtraps, and the figures we get back for rule
effectiveness
across the SpamAssassin developers' corpora, I can tell you that each
technique varies massively.  On some people's mail, a given technique
could yield 50% effectiveness; on others, < 1%.

What I am interested in is the types of countermeasures that are being
used and the frequency.

I know the effectiveness of the techniques will change from user to user.

I reckon this is because there's a high degree of locality between
(a) a list of addresses and (b) the spammer (or spamming contractor)
in question.

This also indicates that some of the bigger spam outfits write (or
pay to have written) their own spamware.

That is interesting. Note that we have major advantages over the script
kiddie problem. The Spam hauses do not want to share their techiniques.
These are their competative advantage. They know that the more people who
use them, the more counter measures will appear.

                Phill