Re: [Asrg] Email Certification Path Proposal

2003-03-11 12:08:08
On Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003, at 18:08 Europe/London, Vernon Schryver wrote:

If there is a PKI, you've still got nothing.  Spammers can and must
be allowed to buy certs too.  Authentication is not authorization.

With authentication you've got something though - a much stronger
ability to blacklist.

That's wrong, even if you tie email addresses to official government
identities such as U.S. social security numbers.  As I said, Ralsky
and other spammers would never run out of social security numbers with
which to authenticate his spam.  He could pay a "homeless person" to
use certificates based on the person's social security numbers for 2
or 3 weeks of spam.  At the end of 2 or 3 weeks when that certificate
is widely blacklisted, he could hire another "homeless person."

You're focusing far too much on the perfect here. I said "stronger ability to blacklist". Not perfect, but stronger.

Plus I think the above pushes Ralsky (or whoever) into a whole other legal bracket than spamming, and thus gives the FTC the teeth they need to go after him for federal crime. But IANAL so this may be false.

Matt.