Re: [Asrg] DCC and IP checksums

2003-03-14 03:29:53
Actually one of my notes was exactly on this issue. I concuded that the
best is to use local filters and separate attachments (such as .exe, .scr,
.bat, etc) from the email and deliver email to recepient without an
attachment but include a instead a note/attachment that it was present
with information on how attachment can be downloaded from the local ISP
server - possibly by using IMAP server with IMAP url indicating exactly
what message to get from the server. This saves time for users when
receiving email over slow connection (dialup) and for well-known viruses,
the users would not even try to download it (plus checking email for
viruses on common IMAP server is easier setup for ISP, since many use unix
servers for mail delivery but most antiviruses run from windows platforms)
(To be fair - this idea came when I was reading somebody elses proposal on
delivering not the email itself but a link where it can be picked up at
the sender's server by IMAP - similar concept to sending user to read
email on the website)

Additional thoughts on the issues included on how to verify that email is
"virus free" and has been checked by anti-virus by the sender by using
special certificate generated (automaticly) by antivirus based on content
of email (simple hash) and based on its own certificate - that anti-virus
certificate can of course be checked on antivirus website, so it creates
fairly good trust system.

Now the above not address your point that local end can not always be trusted
and email-only hoaxes can still propogate just fine, but it addresses
larger problem of security & viruses that get sent through email.