[Asrg] New To The List

2003-03-18 10:18:04
Hi,

I'm new to this list, and certainly not as well versed in the technical aspects
of the SPAM problem as those whose posts I've read seem to be, which brings me
to my question,   It seems rather easy for me to use filters in Outlook Express
to filter a great deal of this trash, which makes me wonder if it isn't just as
easy to do at the Mail Server.  Could my ISP filter as much of this junk as I
now do, and if so isn't putting pressure on our ISP's a good place to start.

A couple of other questions that I am sure could be answered by someone.  It
seems to me that a lot of SPAMMERS forge return addresses.  For instance a
message might say that it comes from *spammer(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com* and when I
contact *abuse(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com* I usually get a return message that
indicates the SPAMMERS didn't actually send the message using Yahoo.  This
makes me wonder is it possible, at the mail server level to check and see if a
return address is forged?

Also I have been using a program called Mail Washer, which I like a lot.
Recently they sent me a message that alerted me to a new subscription service
they are offering.  It seemed to indicate that it would use the resources of
everyone who subscribes to gather a database of SPAMMERS.  When one arrives at
my mail box I bounce it in the normal way, and that bounced message is
examined, and if it is determined to be SPAM it will be added to a database,
and I won't see mail from them again.  Clearly this list is populated by
persons who know a lot more about this than I do, and I wonder if anyone has
any thoughts on Mail Washer in general.

ian