Re: [Asrg] Giving Public Notice ....

2003-03-18 10:46:58
The law will need to evolve, just as Internet architecture needs to evolve. Ideally the evolution of the two would be somewhat coordinated.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Hadmut Danisch <hadmut(_at_)danisch(_dot_)de>
To: Doug Phillips <gr8rdane(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>
CC: jmr(_at_)jmrtech(_dot_)com, Asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Giving Public Notice ....
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:25:54 -0800

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 02:03:16AM -0500, Doug Phillips wrote:
> I wasn't making an argument, just pointing out that (contrary to what was
> stated in the prior post) U.S. federal law specifically states that a
> message is not prevented from being considered binding just because no
> human ever sees it.

Under german law, a message can't be binding if it has not been
sent and received by both a 'person'. Law distinguishes between
'natural' persons (=humans) and 'juristical' persons (=companies,
associations, etc.) which also involves a human. Machines can't
have contracts under german law.

Hadmut