Re: [Asrg] Re: Anti-spam idea

2003-03-19 12:00:43
Hi David,

You're right of course.  And thank you for pointing that out.  I didn't post
to this list because I thought I had anticipated every possible objection to
my proposal, or because I supposed that no one else was thinking along the
same lines.  Rather, I had hoped that people here would be on their toes,
and would be able to raise objections that had not occurred to me, as you
have done. I've received some well-considered email to my post. Thanks for
the enlightenment, all ye respondents!

In my original conception, I had the spam line contain both a from-spam-code
and to-spam-code.  But when I considered an exchange between two peers, it
appeared that two codes were superfluous, and that one would suffice.  Oops.
Actually, A does need to check B's reply to see that it contains A's spam
code where it ought to be.  Otherwise, the spam-shake can be spoofed.  So
make this correction.

As for the fly-by-night spammer, it seems you're right that it's not as
impractical as I was assuming.  It's possible that an e-mail protocol could
make the spammer identifiable, in this case because you wouldn't expect a
legitimate bulk-mailer to be receiving a flood of spam-replies.  And perhaps
the ISP could stop a spam in progress by holding onto these replies. But
that's not what I was trying to achieve.

--
Lee