RE: [Asrg] An amazing amount of spam

2003-03-19 11:53:34
You can host your own filter on the far end of your slow line. It's the
same kind of problem that RIM users face. The point is that it's a
service the end user can request and not internal to the Internet.

I'm just trying to point out that the clogging of the arteries argument
is not rationale given the terabit pipes lying fallow. It's a temporary
condition at some slow edge points.

My current connection is very slow -- 1.5MB down and a pathetic 385KB
up. It's better than the .000010MB I used to have. There are other
reasons for doing upstream processing. As I've mentioned I do my local
filtering and am experimenting with popfile -- I can just as easily host
them remotely as at my end point. An ISP might even offer to do it for
me. It's my choice and a service.

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Kee
Hinckley
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 12:10
To: asrg(_at_)bobf(_dot_)frankston(_dot_)com
Cc: 'Chris Lewis'; asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: [Asrg] An amazing amount of spam

At 11:07 AM -0500 3/19/03, <asrg(_at_)bobf(_dot_)frankston(_dot_)com> wrote:
I value my time far more than I value the Internet infrastructure. The
infrastructure can take care of itself and isn't really being burdened
since we expect to be able to have our own personal HDTV video streams
as casual traffic. Spam is zero percent of that.

You've been living on high-speed connections for far too long.  Email
is a world-wide system, and HDTV internet bandwidth is a fantasy for
most people, even in the U.S..  And has already been discussed on
this list, bandwidth is becoming a significant problem.  I have no
desire to spend an extra $100/month just to handle the spam I'm
bouncing from my server, but that's where spam is forcing me to go.

I'm not saying that your priorities are off with regards to bandwidth
vs. time.  But that doesn't mean that you can just ignore the
bandwidth problem.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to
accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to
regulate
everyone else's.