RE: [Asrg] An amazing amount of spam

2003-03-19 12:42:31
My filter ain't that great -- just adequate. Sure, you can attack with
me a DOS or a DDOS but that's not spam, that's simply a tantrum or
worse.

I think we are in agreement that content filtering is, at best, a
work-around, not an answer. I'm trying to find an answer.

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Alan
DeKok
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 08:53
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] An amazing amount of spam

asrg(_at_)bobf(_dot_)frankston(_dot_)com wrote:
You can host your own filter on the far end of your slow line.

  Great!  What's your IP?  I'd like to point my MX at you.  If your
filters work, it should be easy for you to filter out the spam, and
forward the real email to me.

  On the other hand, the spam may overwhelm your slow link, and
effectively remove you from the net.  But that's not a problem,
because you can run filters at the end of the link!

  Can we please stop discussing content filters on this list?  They're
nice, but they're a work-around to the spam problem for
*individuals*.  They're not a solution for individuals, and they're
definitely not a solution for solving the problem on the network.

  Alan DeKok.