Re: [Asrg] Requirements for anti-spam systems-Draft 1

2003-03-19 12:50:55
Paul Judge <paul(_dot_)judge(_at_)ciphertrust(_dot_)com> wrote:
This is a draft of high-level requirements for anti-spam systems.

  I would add:

7a  Must allow individual administrators to control the anti-spam
    system in their network.

  While this may sound trivially obvious, many people I've talked to
believe that all solutions should be based solely on the recipients
consent.  By this, they appear to be saying:

 1) everyone else in the network should implement the consent of the
    recipient.

 2) the administrator of the network used by the originator of the
    email cannot implement consent OTHER than that of the recipient.

  Issue #1 doesn't scale to a network with millions of recipients and
millions of sendewrs.

  Issue #2 means that the administrator of a sending network cannot
decide (say) to filter outgoing port 25 for dial-up users.

  While I agree that such filtering is non-optimal, it *is* a valid
configuration of the administrators network, and should not be
prevented.

  Alan DeKok.