Re: [Asrg] Requirements for anti-spam systems-Draft 1

2003-03-19 18:22:13
Alan DeKok wrote:

Frank de Lange <frank(_at_)unternet(_dot_)org> wrote:
The network is not reliable.  The network does NOT enforce your
wishes to communicate with others.  It's best-effort, and your data
may not make it through.  We already accept this behaviour, and I
believe that we should make such acceptance explicit for anti-spam
solutions.

Is it really necessary to add this?

 I believe so.  A significant number of people I talk to about my
domain come up with such extreme positions, like they're some kind of
religious mantra.

IETF does not dictate how people control their resources after
all. There are already all kinds of restrictions on who can access
what in what manner and from where. I believe this will sort itself
out, if some ISP (or mail service provider, or ...) were to impose
too onerous terms and conditions users would just move to another
ISP.

 While I agree with what you're saying, I also believe that some kind
of push-back on extreme views is necessary.

Then I think a 'best practice' document on how to manage mail service is
the place to put these recommendations. This is user and systems policy,
not part of mail protocol. Having a cbt on mail service referring to
spam reduction methods would be a good thing in any case...

Frank