Re: [Asrg] Requirements for anti-spam systems-Draft 1

2003-03-20 00:55:51
On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:48:32 PST, Justin Mason said:

  c. a user sending a mail via one ISP's SMTP server, with the rfc-822
     "From" address set to another account on another ISP (quite
     pathological, but it happens)

For example, personally I would be happy with a solution that deals with
spam but breaks the c. case, since IMO it's a hack, and the old adage
about omelettes and eggs springs to mind. ;)

I wouldn't go quite *that* far, personally.  Yes, it's a hack.  But it's a
widely deployed hack.  Solutions that break widely deployed things are a
Bad Idea.

We need to examine things, and ask (a) who will be screwed over by the
proposal and (b) what can be done to alleviate the problem?

(In this case, it's (a) "road warriors" and (b) Port 587).

Fortunately, there's already a solution in hand, we just need to deploy it.
Unfortunately, there *will* be corner cases where we will have to make life
difficult for somebody, and hard choices will have to be made...