RE: [Asrg] This research group will fail

2003-03-20 01:22:40
Anonymous email is pretty easy to support if we have a mechanism that allows
us to control spam.

Then we can bring up the pnet gateway and its ilk again.

        Phill

-----Original Message-----
From: John Morris [mailto:jmorris(_at_)cdt(_dot_)org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 10:12 PM
To: Ian Wilson; Kee Hinckley
Cc: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] This research group will fail

Not to drag us into an extended legal debate, but

At 10:36 PM 3/19/03 -0400, Ian Wilson wrote:
<snip>

I'm not sure *anonymous speech* is worth protecting.  I'm
not saying Free
Speech isn't worth protecting, but I should not have the
protection to say
whatever I want, and the protection of doing it under cover.

Lots and lots of anonymous speech is very valuable and some important
speech would not take place without anonymity (we can discuss
that more
off-list if desired).  But there are lots of situations in
which anonymity
will fall to other interests, and courts will likely agree that false
return addresses and headers in UCE will not  be protected.

While I'm no
lawyer isn't there a distinction between *Free Speech* and
*Freedom of the
Press* and what the framers of the Constitution wanted to
protect was my
right to get on my soapbox down on the corner and launch
into a diatribe on
the government, or any other topic I wanted to.  Seems to me
that what I
write on the Internet isn't *Speech*

In the US, FWIW, the opposite of this is true.  A key
conclusion of the US
Supreme Court's decision in 1997 in Reno v. ACLU, is that in fact the
Internet is the modern day embodiment of the soap box of old.
 When the
First Amendment was written, the town commons was important
in community
life and a soapbox was an effective way to raise a public
concern.  By the
late 20th Century, an actual soapbox in a park had become absolutely
irrelevant.  Internet communications are definitely viewed as
protected
speech by US courts.

The bottom line for this group is that (at least in the US) the First
Amendment is likely to impose some constraints on anti-spam
legislation,
making technical approaches to reduce spam all the more important.

John