[No Cyber-Nonsense Thanks] RE: [Asrg] This research group will fail

2003-03-22 21:10:47
Spam is a business with growing revenue. The small business
is sending spam. The big business is selling anti-spam-solutions.
Obviously those, who's business is either one of these, try to prevent
a simple and effective solution.

The situation is similar to the virus/worm threat: Some parties make
huge revenues with selling anti-virus-solutions. It would be their
sudden death if application software and operating systems became
virus proof. Some of the anti-virus-software manufacturers are
suspected to viruses themselves in order to keep their business
alive.

Companies in the Anti-Virus industry are so cut-throat that they can't
afford to spend valuable research dollars actually *writing* viruses.
McAffe got in major deep doo-doo when they tried something like that:

<http://vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=279&page=4>

Wether McAfee actually wrote a virus or not isn't relevant.  The relevance
comes from Symantec outright accusing McAfee of doing so.  And Symantec
isn't any better:

<http://vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=282&page=4>

As many of the same companies produce anti-spam software, I don't believe
they can afford to do anything stupid, like sell, produce, develop or even
sponsor spamming in the name of selling more anti-spam software.  They would
pounce on each other so hard you'd hear it from Tuktaiuktuk, never mind
anywhere on the Internet.

Besides, I'm not having delusions that we can come up with anti-spam
solutions that would eliminate something from these companies.  I for one am
interested in solving a particular problem.  Others are interested in
solving other particular problems, and I wish them all good luck.

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E):
<http://www.pan-am.ca/consulting(_at_)pan-am(_dot_)ca(_dot_)asc>